COSATU`s National Congress, which is held every three years, elects the 6 National Office Bearers of the Federation comprising:
- 1st Depuy President
- 2nd Deputy President,
- National Treasurer,
- General Secretary and
- Deputy General Secretary
Of the six National Office Bearers only two are full time – the General Secretary and the Deputy General Secretary.
The other National Office Bearers are workers elected from within the membership of the unions affiliated to COSATU, and remain available for the work of the federation, with their wages paid by their respective workplaces.
The following National Office Bearers were elected at the 13th National Congress 2018
- President: Zingiswa Losi
- 1st Dep. President: Michael Shingange
- 2nd Dep President: Louisa Thipe
- General Secreatary: Bheki Ntshalintshali
- Deputy General Secretary: Solly Phetoe
- National Treasurer: Freda Oosthuysen